[USA]: On September 23, 2019, the 20th anniversary of Bi Visibility Day, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) held its first-ever Bisexual Health Research Workshop. As an invited panelist at this event, sponsored by the NIH’s Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office, I joined 19 other researchers to discuss key findings, gaps in knowledge, and future directions.
You may be asking yourself: Is there really a need for this workshop? How is Bisexual Health different from the health of other groups? How many people even identify as Bisexuals?
Here are some key points covered —
(1) What is Bisexuality?
(2) Who is Bi+?
(3) How might being Bi+ affect Health?
(4) Why are Bi+ people more likely to experience Poor Health?
● Bi+ Invisibility can affect the quality of Medical Care.
● Double Discrimination can harm Mental Health.
(5) What steps can you take to counter these issues?